Monday, April 16, 2012

Shop till we Drop!

Having never travelled/stayed in New York before, I am struggling to discover where%26#39;s best to stay in the City - I%26#39;m planning a trip beginning of July 07 and will be bringing along my shop-a-holic Mum and her partner. I don%26#39;t expect too much regarding hotels - it%26#39;s only a place to crash at the end of a tiresome day, but haven%26#39;t a clue about the location. We%26#39;re wanting to stay somewhere %26#39;nice and affordable%26#39;, somewhere where we can feel safe and also somewhere relatively idiot proof to get around... We%26#39;ll be dining out lots and oh, did I mention the shopping???!!! Please can anyone suggest a location and maybe even a hotel that they%26#39;d recommend for the 4 of us?

Many Thanks in advance

Trish

Shop till we Drop!

I count 3 (you, Mum and her partner). Where%26#39;s the 4th? Will you be staying in 1 room or 2? What do you consider ';affordable';?

There are several good budget hotels around Macy%26#39;s. This is not a location I particularly like since it%26#39;s very commercial and not a lot of good dining nearby, but for shopoholics, it might work well. The options are

Red Roof Inn

Stanford

Herald Square

These are really best for only 2-3 in a room. If there are 4 and you plan to stay in 1 room, a suite hotel would be better. The Affinia Manhattan and the Metro are in that same area around Macy%26#39;s. The Eastgate Tower is another good option (or the Shelburne Murray Hill)

But at the beginning of July (will you be here for the 4th ?) the Salisbury is what I%26#39;d recommend to be near Central Park. I saw some good prices for it on Expedia the other day.

Shop till we Drop!

Sorry - 4th member is hubby! - How could I forget him! 2 rooms would be best in this case; budget - not sure really - I%26#39;ve seen all kinds of prices; don%26#39;t want run down hotel, but not exactly looking to pay too much - a 2.5 or 3 star would sum us up. It doesn%26#39;t have to be exactly in the shopping district, but as I%26#39;ve never had any recommendations or feedback I%26#39;m really struggling on this one; I did have alook at a hotel in SoHo but the reviews we deeming it not very safe and nice to walk about at night.... I guess I%26#39;d just like someone to know me and know what would suit me...

Thanks for your help and quick response.


If you%26#39;re looking to do budget-middle of the road shopping, staying in midtown or possibly Chelsea would be best. The first few hotels I mentioned would be fine if you%26#39;re getting 2 rooms. The Salisbury would also be fine. I don%26#39;t think you want to stay in Soho unless you%26#39;re looking to do very trendy shopping. The decent hotels in Soho are mostly pricey and the others are not nice at all.


Have a look also at the new Holiday Inn Express Chelsea.


Thought it would be nice to stay whilst the 4th July festivities are all going on, but I guess for the privilage that the prices rocket up? The Salisbury looked perfect, but unfortunately they look fully booked two of the 4 dates we%26#39;re there. Will have a look at other hotels in your recommended areas - thanks


What type of shopping were you looking to do?


Since you are not that picky I would recommend trying to bid on a hotel via Priceline. First go to www.biddingfortravel.com and look under New York. You can see which hotels Priceline uses in each area of Manhattan based upon the level of the hotel (number of stars). You can then see what other bidders have bid for the type and area of hotel you are interested in. I would probably bid about $120- $130 a night for a 4 Star in Midtown West. It looks like a lot of people ';won'; a room at this rate but I don%26#39;t see anybody posting a winning bid for July.


Just general shopping; clothes, shoes, BARGAINS!!! Of course having 2 men with us, we%26#39;ll be sending them off to do all of the sights; I guess we want to do as much and make the most of the time in NY: It%26#39;s a place none of my family have ever been to and we%26#39;d like to experience the whole New York thing properly and plan our trip carefully. Thanks for all the advice guys... Will have a look at the bidding website. Even since last night; flights have sold out and hotels are looking to be fully booked; will have to pull my finger out!


I stayed at the Hotel Super 8 in October 2006, and will be staying there tomorrow for 6 nights!! It was fine for us - we just wanted to sleep there and not spend any longer in the hotel than necessary. That said, continental breakfast was included, and they have a gym if you want to use that, and it was clean and comfortable. Despite reading some bad reviews on here, we had absolutely no probs at all - I suppose it depends what you expect for your money! It%26#39;s located on W46th Street, between 5th and 6th Avenues, so for us, it was an ideal location, and only about 10 minutes walk from Times Square. You can find more info at www.applecorehotels.com

Hope this helps!


Hello: I live in Mahattan and would HIGHLY recommend not staying anywhere near Herald Square (Macy%26#39;s.) It is very tourist trappy and the sidewalks are unbearably crowded all of the time. There are really very few decent places to eat and shop in that neighborhood. If you really want to shop Macy%26#39;s, you can make the trip there with little hassle, no matter where you end up staying. It%26#39;s hard to tell you where to stay, as you didn%26#39;t mention a price range. I would really try anything near Central Park, as that is a great central area, but pricey. For shopping, we have it all- 5th Ave, Soho, Nolita, to name a few. Centrury 21 department store is a must if you head downtown to view Ground Zero. Another tourist trap area I tell people to stay away from is Little Italy- the restaurants are no longer Italian-run, so they say, and there is far better Italian food elsewhere in the city. Have fun!

  • homemade blackheads
  • best advice to give girl
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment