Friday, April 27, 2012

(NYC) How come Trip Reports aren't on the same Thread?

I was looking for Day 1 and Day 2 of Odile Odette%26#39;s NYC trip report, since I%26#39;d read Day 3 and Day 4 - I knew they had to exist!

I went back several pages of my slow Dial-Up computer (snarl) and never did find them. Odile, if you read this, I really wanted to know who you used for your tours - like the Upper NY - sounded good)

And then I got to wondering why we don%26#39;t just return to the original post and add the consecutive days to it? (I have done that on other newsgroups, but it doesn%26#39;t seem to be the popular mode here on TA)

It would sure make it easier to read a poster%26#39;s TR!

(NYC) How come Trip Reports aren't on the same Thread?

Brahamama - oh, how I feel your pain!!

I have tried to remedy the situation you describe by collecting trip reports - and their various chapters - in these collections.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k474427-鈥?/a> Collection_of_trip_reports_from_SOLO_TRAVELLERS_great-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k472956-鈥?/a> Collection_of_trip_reports_from_couples_great_ideas-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k473208-鈥?/a> Collection_of_trip_reports_from_families_with_YOUNG_KIDS-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k475052-鈥?/a> Collection_of_trip_reports_from_families_travelling_with- (adult relatives)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k473200-鈥?/a> Collection_of_trip_reports_from_families_with_TEENAGERS-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k473391-鈥?/a> Collection_of_trip_reports_from_friends_travelling_together-

Some folks do include internal links to their previous chapters, but not most. As an alternative, I would reco that folks simply write all their chapters as multiple ';replies'; to a single starter post.

I have written to TA suggesting creating a new and improved sticky (or set of stickies) for trip reports.

On the bright side, so many more visitors are writing trip reports recently. On the down side, I am about three weeks behind. (I%26#39;m just starting to tackle trip reports about St. Patrick%26#39;s Day.) It%26#39;s kinda time-consuming to find the reports, copy the links, etc, and not as satisfying as the quick-n-dirty, stream-of-consiousness response to an sightseeing or dining query.

(NYC) How come Trip Reports aren't on the same Thread?

QB--I hope there%26#39;s a special kind of heaven for selfless TA posters--you deserve it!


Okay Im trying to post the links and have tried a few times and it wont let me says the message body contains words longer than 140 characters. Help? How do I get round this?

I would have put it on one thread but it seemed everyone seperated theres so I didnt think people would look for the rest of my report in another thread. I will post the links for the other parts in the rest of my reports though, which I have just about finished!

We used the Grayline tour and bought the tickets from one of the guys on the streets at the bus stops. I remember reading before they got commission for when you buy the tickets from them and they are the same price anyway.


To get around that, you put a space between the last number of the URL and the following words, as you can see in QB%26#39;s post above.


Thanks, Crans (geez, I gotta get out more.)

odie-odette - BTW, hope you didn%26#39;t take that personally as a criticism. :o)

I want to clarify that I think all the trip reports are great and a wonderful way to give us feedback on our suggestions, let us know ';what happened!?!?'; after all the queries, and help future visitors (and locals, too!)


QB does a stellar job in keeping up with the trip reports and adding them into their relevant category! But if in doubt, just click on the name of the original poster and you%26#39;ll see all of their recent posts.


And I might mention, some of the best TR writers leave the links to the previous day/part at the beginning of the new one (I know, I know! It%26#39;s something we could all learn!) But while you%26#39;re on Odile, you can condense the URLs down at tinyurl.com


Wow, QUEENS, what a lot of work! You are a gem. I know that everyone appreciates what you are doing - from love and not for money either!

Ange, I loved your TR too. So much talent on these boards.

New question! (Can you tell I was a teacher in a former life?)

When I particularly love a post and want to read more by a particular poster, and click the name (looking quite often for their TR) it only give you about 25 of their most recent posts. How frustrating! Especially if that person posts a lot. So is there a way to read their ';older'; posts?

  • sebum
  • lips hurt during
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment