Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Quick help re transfers JFK-Midtown

I%26#39; m returning to NYC on sunday( landing 1245pm) and this time I%26#39;ll be travelling alone. How do-able is the airtrain and subway by myself?





I%26#39;ll have one case and one hand luggage.





Also I%26#39;m staying on W46 between broadway and 8th, which airtrain would I take, on to which subway ?





Apolgises for askng something I know would have bene covered, I%26#39;ve searched around the site and am a little baffled





I%26#39;m assuming this is the worth the saving on a $60 taxi fare ( which I did last time?)





Thanks in advance



Quick help re transfers JFK-Midtown


I personally wouldn%26#39;t do the train with a case, hand luggage and I%26#39;m assuming a handbag. If you want to, take the AirTrain to Jamaica and from there the E train subway to 50th st. %26amp; 8th ave. From there you%26#39;ll walk 4 blocks south to 46 st.





Another option is to take the Express Airport bus to Port Authority bus terminal. You just get on the bus at JFK, your luggage goes underneath and you get out at Port Authority-no switching and no stairs. Port Authority is at 42 st %26amp; 8th ave. so you have 4 blocks walk heading north (uptown).





Airlink is an acceptable option for a shared bus ride that will take you to your door (do NOT use Super Shuttle, their competitor).





Since it%26#39;s Easter Sunday, I%26#39;m not sure what traffic will be like or how frequently trains will run.



Quick help re transfers JFK-Midtown


Yeah, the Skytrain transfer in Jamaica isn%26#39;t too convenient. By the way - taxis charge a fixed rate now from JFK to Manhattan - it%26#39;s $45, not including tip. You should ask the driver to use the 59th Street Bridge because there are no tolls.





Up to you...




Considering where you are going, I think the airport bus really is the best economical option.




I%26#39;m also going to go on the Express bus from JFK to Manhattan (on Wednesday), which has the option to take you to your midtown hotel (I%26#39;m staying at Super 8 on W46th between 5th and 6th Avenues).





Do you recommend paying upfront for this, or can I just pay when I get on? I intend to do the round trip, for myself and my son.




I%26#39;ve heard that the switch to a bus that takes you to your hotel is long and tedious. They will ask you to get off at Grand Central and you%26#39;ll switch to another bus from there. There%26#39;s an extra $6/person roundtrip for the hotel service ($33 vs 27). For that price you could get off at Grand Central and get a taxi to the Super 8 and not have to wait while they drop everyone else.





You don%26#39;t have to pay in advance. You can pay at the transportation desk near baggage claim. Bus drivers don%26#39;t take money though so look for the desk before you exit the terminal.




Should have mentioned to nikki02 that the AirTrain/subway is $7 and the bus is $15.




NYWhiz - thanks for letting me know that we%26#39;d have to change bus to get to our hotel, it doesn%26#39;t tell you that on their website!! I will do as you advised, and get off at Grand Central and get a taxi :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment