Friday, April 27, 2012

Hudson Hotel Hotwire

We are looking to Hotwire to book a hotel room. I have reviewed Better bidding to narrow the room down. The one I am looking at is probably the Hudson Hotel. However, I am really taking a chance here....I am putting in for 2 people. But, there are 3 of us..my husband, myself and my daughter. When I put in for all 3 of us, practically nothing comes up. Worse case scenario....we all share a bed.





My question is though, after doing a search here the only thing I read was small rooms. And it was only one review. Does anyone know if they will provide a cot or are the rooms too small for that?



Hudson Hotel Hotwire


This would be a HUGE mistake. There are plenty of hotels in New York that can actually accomodate three to a room even if only two people are booked, but the Hudson is NOT one of them.





If Hotwire says only two, then you can bet the ranch you are going to get a room with one bed. And the room will be so small there will be nowhere to put a third person.





The best case scenario is the Hudson ';may'; let you upgrade to a room with two beds (I don%26#39;t believe they have many) at a much higher rate...then you will have no savings so what is the point?





If you doubt this, call the Hudson and ask them how they will handle the situation.





You would be MUCH better off making a priceline bid for 4* in Midtown East (ONLY) for your dates. If you get the Grand Hyatt you have a very good chance of being able to negotiate a room with two beds or or a room at least big enough to handle a rollaway.





So why not give give priceline a very limited bid to just the above-- Midtown East, 4*, your dates...and see if you get lucky. If you must roll the dice, this would be a better gamble for you.





The reason I say only bid Midtown East, is currently the Hotel Mela is listed as a priceline 4* in Midtown West and rooms are shoeboxes also. Until the Mela is downgraded to 3* I won%26#39;t be bidding on 4* Midtown West. (Don%26#39;t like shoeboxes.)









Hudson Hotel Hotwire


The rooms are too small for a cot or 3 people. This is a recipe for disaster. Don%26#39;t do it. They also may not have fire insurance for 3 in that room.





I%26#39;ve gone back to review what you want. In your situation I would book a CANCELABLE studio suite with queen or king bed and sofabed for your daughter at either the EAstgate Tower or the Beekman Towers. The Eastgate has a good rate that%26#39;s cancelable on quikbook.com and the Beekman has one on the www.affinia.com website. (make sure NOT to pick non cancelable)





I%26#39;d sign up for emails on specials from both Affinia and travelzoo.com and continue to sporadically check quikbook.com I think you will be able to get the Salisbury hotel which is more centrally located than those for your budget closer to your trip. The Salislbury also has a $3 breakfast.




Thank you for the information. I will have to really do some research I guess. I don%26#39;t understand why I make such a big deal out of the room ...when I am only going to be sleeping and getting ready there. I do always love a nice hotel and an awesome deal on it.




Actually, the W New York is listed as a 4* possibility in midtown east and they also have shoebox sized rooms so I think that%26#39;s not a good idea either.




Ha Whiz, good timing!





I was just going to post that all of a sudden the W is starting to show up on betterbidding.com in Midtown East for priceline bids, so that%26#39;s not a good option because as whiz noted, tiny shoebox rooms, and inappropriate for three people.





As for being concerned about hotel rooms, you should care a bit, after all it is not just you, but your husband and daughter who are along for the ride.





A bad experience with a hotel can mean a bad trip for all of you. Why travel all the way to New York to have inadequate or uncomfortable lodging? In addition, New York hotels are much stricter post 9/11 about the number of people in a room. There is more security these days, so that is something to keep in mind.





If you can book something now that is fully cancellable you can take your time and see what turns up for specials on sites like travelzoo or hotwire as your travel date draws closer.




Voy, can you please give me a link to where I can see on betterbidding which hotels people are getting. I have such a hard time navigating that website. I can find the hotel lists (which is not very well organized) but I%26#39;ve yet to find the winning bids info.




Whiz,





If you are on betterbidding, you would scroll down to where it says ';New York.'; (The states are in alphabetical order.) When you click on New York you get the pinned hotwire/priceline lists, a hotwire forum and a priceline forum. Here is the priceline forum where people post their winning bids:





www.betterbidding.com/index.php鈥?/a>




Sammar,





My above comments about caring about hotel rooms really wasnt directed at you alone... They were more aimed generally to others as well going through the same ordeal. Believe me, I have been there too! NY hotels are a bit tricky at first because there are sooo many to choose from.




I would skip the trying to slip by the management approach and book for exactly the amount of people who will be in the room. My experience has been that checking out net prices then calling the hotel direct to negotiate lower rates has been the best approach.




Voyagereuse



I understood what you meant. And you are so right, for some reason hotel rooms always makes a big difference in the trip experience. I am going to book a hotel that is cancellable and continue looking for deals.





Any suggestions on a hotel? We are going to see Grease on Broadway on a Friday evening, so our biggest concern with all the children that will be going (3 or 4 families) that we would like to be somewhat close to the theater. It will be August, so walking a couple blocks is not a big deal. We want an area that is safe, 3 to 4 star and close to the 200 range.





Thanks again for all the good information, I am glad I hadn%26#39;t been accepted on any bids on priceline and chosen any ';good'; deals on Hotwire.


  • sebum
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment