Thursday, April 26, 2012

New York Experts Biographies for us amazed travelers?

As you may know, I%26#39;ve been browsing this forum starting around a month before my trip and have resumed this %26#39;hobby%26#39; after returning. As fascinated as I am by this great city, I am equally as fascinated by the people who are here to provide us all with this information that we cannot find in general travel guides available at regular outlets.



What I would like to know is if these experts would be willing to share a bit of their life stories with us. I%26#39;m not looking for intimate details of your lives, just basics such as where you were born, lived and how you all became so knowledgable in every aspect of NYC.I am sure that some of your life experiences would be great to learn. I am amazed by the depth of your insights and since I have always had a bit of a %26#39;hang up%26#39; with this city, it would make for great reading to find out this bit of info about yourselves.



I have lived in a number of large cities in the US but there is no way I was able to come to the level of knowledge about the cities I have loved and lived in over the years. In my past, I%26#39;ve been a resident of Denver, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Phoenix, Miami, Orlando, Tampa and now Buffalo.



Thanks in advance for any thing you would care to share and accept my gratitude for the time you take to provide us all with such an awesome look into this great city.



New York Experts Biographies for us amazed travelers?


OK, I%26#39;ll give it a try. I live on the Upper West Side of Manhattan with my wife. My only child, a son also lives in Manhattan near Penn Station. I have lived in NYC my entire life except for a couple of years in the military, mostly in Virginia. I was born in the Bronx, but my parents moved to Queens when I was 2. They bought a new house which, along with the other developed houses, had been a farm immediately before. I continued to live in Queens, even after I was married. In 1974, we bought a cooperative apartment on the UWS. We sold that one and bought the one where we are now in 1987. I%26#39;m retired and spent most of my career with what was then the Chase Manhattan Bank.





My knowledge of the City first of all comes from personal experience. When I was about 9 or 10, I used to take the bus and subway into Manhattan with friends or by myself and also to Brooklyn to see the Dodgers who were still there. I have also always been interested in the history and architecture of NYC. I have scores of books, taken many guided walking tours (mostly the Municipal Art Society ones) and have taken some mini-courses. With all that, I have learned much about the City on this site that I did not know.





Ken NYC10025



New York Experts Biographies for us amazed travelers?


THis thread ';Who Are You New York'; with much the same info was wildly/mildly popular a year ago...





tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k124112-鈥?/a>




Lotuspath you are just too funny - I%26#39;m laughing, at my desk and now i have to explain to my work colleagues what I%26#39;m actually laughing about without them thinking I%26#39;m insane......




Hello all: I am not an expert but I would love to give my 2 cents.My name is Tammy, I am a 37 year old Italian Girl born in manhattan, raised in whitestone Queens.I moved to upstate new york after my 3rd child out of 6.I always had a love for food as a small child watching my father who owned several restaurants and grandma who had her own catering bussiness.I went to high school for commercial foods in manhattan.I started not to attend class after exploring manhattan too much LOL, so my mom sent me to finish high school in New Jersey for commercial foods.I am a Johnson %26amp;wales graduate.I also attended school for Hotel and restaurant management.I am right now a chair person for a community agency that helps low income children.I do all their benefits especially the ones with food.My kids are all finally in school.I have 2 sons15- Dylan and 8 Klaus.I have 4 daughters Julia 11 Autumn 9 Desirae %26amp; and my baby Gianna.I am divorced and back with ex now, which is good.I have had my share of lumps in life but I think it made me stronger and street smart.My aunt and uncle own a studio in manhattan called music on the run.My step dad is an oldies singer and actor, his group was ans is called Vito and the salutations.Thanks for reading about me!




sorry type mistake AND




LotusPath, you are hysterical! You should do stand-up if you don%26#39;t already. I am laughing out loud. I%26#39;m sure being the youngest you had to be creative to be noticed. I will always look to your posts for a laugh. You should blog. Have a great funny day!




LOL good to hear stories, even the slightly %26#39;odd%26#39; ones!



I guess visiting this last time just awakened the %26#39;ny nerd / geek%26#39; in me as i now am very interested in people from nyc and their life stories. again, not intimate details, but rather how / where they grew up and what added to their lives to end up staying in and loving this great city. on my last visit, i engaged several locals who were happy to chat about where they grew up and their love (or sometimes not) of the city.



i am always amazed at the experts here who will tell someone '; well, you need to take the A train to the second from the last stop, sit in the first 5 cars and then leave exiting the second exit. once on the street, go left and youll see three doors, the middle one, which used to be painted red and is now black is where you want to be.............';



in other words, how the heck do you come to have so much information about each nook and cranny of nyc?



i do have to admit, as a young child of 8, i once took my months allowance and bought a huge poster (the picture of which i still see occasionally) of the view of the Brooklyn Bridge and the skyline, including the WTC all lit up at night. That poster stayed up until i was in high school when a small candle fire finally destroyed it. i remember day dreaming of living in the city, but as my life unfolded, such was not the case.



perhaps in reading your stories, i feel as though im living that life in the city...............



no really, im not at all crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




So buca45- I guess then you would be an expert being a child from a family of 8 children , how crazy my house hold can be ( LOL.)Take care, thanks for being a great contribution to this forum.




buca,



Thanks for starting this post. I always wonder about the people answering - really just two things - Male or Female and approx age - so that I can tell where they are coming from.





lotus,



Everytime I read one of your posts, I feel like you are misnamed and you should change it to lotuseater.





tmoo,



I enjoyed reading about your life. You have indeed have a lot of BUMPS in your life, but looks like you are handling it all well and you know what they say - what doesn%26#39;t kill you makes you stronger!





I love all you NY guys and gals. I%26#39;d like to have you all to dinner!


  • sebum
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment