Friday, April 27, 2012

Apartments/Universities Summer 2007

Hey! I%26#39;m travelling to New York City on June with my daughter. I promised her that we will spend there 2-3 weeks but now our financial situation has changed. I still want to take her there, but now I%26#39;m worrying about where we will live.





I was wondering if any colleges or universities are renting their dorms for summer? Or are there any other good and a little bit cheaper places to live? We would only need like a studio apartment.





I hope that somebody can answer to me.. Happy Easter!



Apartments/Universities Summer 2007


NYU does have dorms they rent out (esp to students) but you may be too late. Here%26#39;s a trip report from someone who did that last summer.



tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k698283-鈥?/a>





I suggest you look for an apt. situation. What is your budget? You might have a look on vrbo.com (vacation rental by owner)





If your daughter is not too young and you like cats, I%26#39;ve always been curious about a lovely apt. that%26#39;s very inexpensive for what it is but requires you to cat sit. It%26#39;s here



http://www.vrbo.co





If your daughter is a child (this owner doesn%26#39;t want children) it won%26#39;t work.





Another very good idea is one of the women%26#39;s residences, again depending on your daughter%26#39;s age (some have a minimum age requirement).





Here%26#39;s a previous post with a lot of good info including the websites for the women%26#39;s residences.



tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k955680-鈥?/a>



Apartments/Universities Summer 2007


Yes, you were right that we were late wih NYU.





My daughter is 16 and is totally comfortable with cats, but because she is under 18 we can%26#39;t rent that cat sitting apartment.





The Brandon sounded very promising. But can we live there even though we are not attending to any courses or working there? Do they have double rooms?





Then I heard about Leo House. Is it safe and comfortable? Do they have double rooms and TV? How much does it cost?




An apartment might be the way to go. Not sure what kind of budget you%26#39;re talking about, but if www.vrbo.com has things that are too expensive, you could try www.craigslist.org Loads of studio apartments in really great neighborhoods.





The better thing about apartments is that you can save money by eating meals in.





Did you check to see if the West Side YMCA can give you a weekly rate? Also, I know the hostel in my neighborhood has some private rooms (Jazz on the Park) so their other branches might as well. You should certainly, wherever you end up, ask for a price discount for long-term stay.





FIT (Fashion Institute of Technology) used to rent out the dorms for summer; that was several years ago. I would email them for more info, since nothing is posted on their site:





www.fitnyc.edu/aspx/Content.aspx鈥?/a>





Also, their link isn%26#39;t working, but lonelyplanet forums have a list of them, I think. If not, do a search on their United States board:





http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/




I think Brandon house and some of the other women%26#39;s residences do have double rooms. Why not contact them and find out?

No comments:

Post a Comment