Thursday, April 26, 2012

Trip Report Part 6: Brooklyn Bridge and Chinatown

Here is Part 5 which contains all the links to the previous reports also:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1124133鈥?/a>

Trip_Report_Part_5_Feeling_the_effects_of_the_night-New_York_City_New_York.html

DAY 8 March 25th 2007

Headed down the Ottamanelli Bros for a bagel and sat in and watched everyone going by. It was nice to watch all the New Yorkers doing their Sunday business.

We were doing the Brooklyn Bridge so headed there on the subway. There was lots of people on it wondering if this went to South Ferry or Brooklyn and even the New Yorkers were confused I think because the train was running on a different line or something? And we couldn鈥檛 hear the announcements. But we were on the right train to Brooklyn. Stuart asked a lady if this was the right train to Brooklyn and I think somehow they both got confused and the woman was heading to South Ferry but ended up in Brooklyn and I don鈥檛 think she realised it as her party were still on the train when we got off, and I hadnt realised what she had said until we got off the train otherwise I would have told her. Oops, hope she made it back to South Ferry! I then realised I had forgotten my little book with GWBs directions to the bridge and Grimaldis so we had no idea where we were!

We found the bridge easily though, but we missed out on Grimaldis unfortunately as there is no way I would have found it. Enjoyed walking across the bridge, lot of people doing the same! It was freezing when we came out the subway but suprisingly mild on the bridge! Great views though! Enjoyed this, didn鈥檛 even take long at all, and I hardly noticed the cars underneath. We had a very odd man walking in front of us which kept us entertained. He was dressed entirely in camoflage and he seemed to have a thing about drainhole covers and kept pointing his finger and shaking his head when he came across one and he wouldnt step on them. And every girl that went past he quite obviously checked her out and when we got off the bridge we were standing behind him at the lights and he turned round and looked me up and down and nodded his head! It was odd, only in New York!

When we got off the bridge we walked down to Century 21 where Stuart did some shopping. I found the nicest pair of shoes I have ever come across, but at $300 I was convinced not to buy them.

Then back onto the subway and we went to Chinatown again which was fun. Yes we like Chinatown, possibly the first people on TA who do? Went for lunch in a little chinese again, was yummy, I just stuck to vegetables though. We enjoyed Chinatown, so much fun here and lots to see. I noticed a lot more bag sellers out on the street though today, definetley a lot busier than our previous day. Managed to get some nice pairs of earrings though and everyone has commented on them since!

After that subway back up to the hotel to freshen up then down to Times Square. We were going to go to Dallas BBQ, went in and got seated but changed our mind and left. It just didnt have a great atmoshpere. Went round to Virgils, 20 minute wait for a table so just got a seat at the bar. We missed our call oops, but the girl gave us the next table. Went up and Stuart got one of those half a gallon of beers, I told him if he finished it I would buy him a South Park DVD in Virgin. I said to Stuart the portions here were meant to be huge so we shared a meat platter that had all different meats on it. It was so good! The meat was just amazing! We had BBQ beans with it and Cheese grits which were yucky! What exactly is cheese grits?! Didn鈥檛 enjoy them at all. But the beans were fantastic! Mmm could of eaten them all night. Sat there for ages, the service was bad. The bus boy cleared our table and the waiter didn鈥檛 come over to us again for an hour and it wasn鈥檛 even busy! We were happy enough sitting and talking though. When we got the bill I accidentaly gave the guy a big tip because I cant count and added the bill wrong, Oops! I didnt even realise that until the next morning, oh well I hope he enjoyed it.

After that we went to Virgin where Stuart got his South Park Dvds. I was going to buy the SATC box set but it was $300!!! I was so shocked I said to the guy its 拢50 at home!

We then went for another drink but I was too tired so we got a cab back up to the hotel where I fell into bed.

Will post the final 2 parts tomorrow or Saturday.

Trip Report Part 6: Brooklyn Bridge and Chinatown

';Grits'; is a sort of porridge made out of ground corn (that is, maize); it is a first cousin to such foods as the italian polenta. The word ';grits'; is a cognate of ';groats'; (as in buckwheat groats, also known as kasha.) They are considered a staple in the American south, while in the north they are largely unknown something to be eaten commonly. They are frequently served in the same ways and in the same circumstances that northerners might serve mashed potatoes.

Trip Report Part 6: Brooklyn Bridge and Chinatown

Ahh thanks for clearing that up, so helpful. I dont know if it was the taste or the texture of grits that put me off, it wasnt what I was expecting. Oh and we had cornbread too which was kinda like a cupcake?!


Well, now, hang on there for just a second! Given that Scotland bestowed Haggis on the rest of the world, I wouldn%26#39;t be speaking so harshly about grits! %26lt;grin, grin, grin%26gt;

Actually, I%26#39;m a little surprised you didn%26#39;t like them with cheese, as that usually at least makes them palatable to someone who is not familiar with them. I will grant you they are an acquired taste. It took me a while to warm up to them, but now whenever I%26#39;m visiting family in Texas, I get them at every opportunity. I think they%26#39;re great with breakfast. In New Mexico I used to have them baked with cheese and green chile. Mix in some beaten eggs, it was almost like a souffle. Notice I said ALMOST!


A always think of Joe Pesci in ';My Cousin Vinny'; -- ';What%26#39;s a grit?';

That%26#39;s one acquired taste I haven%26#39;t acquired. Though we did eat hot farina for breakfast as kids. Sort of oatmeal texture. We%26#39;d put butter and jam in.

Next time you%26#39;re in Virgil%26#39;s, try their hot biscuits, which they serve with maple butter. Yummy!

That camouflage guy on the bridge sounds mighty strange.


What a shame you missed Grimaldi%26#39;s! Next time though.

I too thought the cheese grits were foul, I did like the biscuits that B recommends (but hated the gravy!)

Rocco! How dare you criticise haggis?! ;o)


I LOVE Haggis! Yum Yum Yum! That is the only reason I go to Burns Night to have some haggis!

I was so disapointed to miss Grimaldis, oh well I will just have to have another trip to do the things I missed out on!

  • Name for a new kitten
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment