Friday, April 27, 2012

question about cameras in NYC what did u use and advice pls

The camera that I have right now is HUGE. It is a Nikon D50 with a large zoom lense and large flash that goes on top. The bag I need to carry it is huge too. LOL





Anyways I was wondering if it would be a good idea for me to buy a smaller point and shoot compact camera that I could fit in my purse or pocket.





I just don%26#39;t want to walk around looking too touristy with a huge camera bag (by the way this camera and everything with it is over $1000) and take the chance of looking like a target and having it stolen. I don%26#39;t want to be inconvenienced and tired from lugging the thing around everywhere.





I also want to have good pictures though of NYC though and don%26#39;t know if I will wish that I had the zoom that I have on my larger camera.





Thanks!



question about cameras in NYC what did u use and advice pls


One of the great camera stores in NYC (knowledgeable staff, and highly reputable) is B %26amp; H, at Ninth Avenue and 34th Street. Why not stop in and chat with the staff about this question while you are here? Just keep in mind that it is owned by Hasidic Jews, and so it is closed on Friday afternoons and all day Saturday, as well as on certain holidays (such as Yom Kippur).



question about cameras in NYC what did u use and advice pls


Hi





We last went in to NY in 2004 and my husband took a canon 10D and I took a Canon 300D with about 4 lenses between us. Also took a mega light tripod which made our luggage get checked everywhere and I didn%26#39;t use at all!! (Not allowed to take it up EBS).



Generally I know what you mean though about the weight and size of carrying them everywhere BUT....





We enjoy and practice photography and as our aim of visiting NY was to get good quality photgraphs it surely is worth this inconvenience.





We also took a NIkon 995 (swivel body) which was invaluable on the airplan for twisting and taking pictures out the window! but it%26#39;s only 3.34 mp and we have a little ';concert'; camera - a pentax optio SV which is great BUT...again nothing matches what i get from the Dgital SLRs.





This year we are leaving behind the little cameras (i think) and taking a Canon 1D and my 5D...both heavier and bigger, But if you have the a great Nikon, and i presume enjoy taking photographs I can%26#39;t image why you wouldn%26#39;t take it to NY.





Incidentally the only time it draw attention was actually by a policeman near Rockafella Plaza who got into conversation with my husband because he too had bought the 10D and was debating what other lenses to buy and then we discussed how much cheaper that were in the states than in England.





If you decide to buy though... (although I am sure it%26#39;s not the cheapest place) we loved B%26amp;H photo - i have never seen such a huge photographic shop !





%26#39;Chelle x




I took my Panasonic LZ4 with me when I went to NYC last year... it%26#39;s only a 4 MP but I wanted something cheap with a good zoom for my dream trip...





It worked out perfectly for me, as I bought 2 extra panasonic proprietary batteries on ebay for $20 so I%26#39;d have some spares, and I also got a %26#39;kit%26#39; that came with 3 filters and a wide and telescopic lense. It took great pics (it has a 12X optical zoom) which was especially useful for shots of the tops of buildings and the Yankees game I went to.





Since it was moderately small, I kept the camera, filters, and extra batteries/mem card in my purse (med sized messenger bag) so I wouldn%26#39;t have to carry a camera bag as well as a purse. Not sure if you%26#39;re a guy, but my bf also had a messenger bag which was helpful in carrying water etc that I didn%26#39;t want in the same bag as my camera. I purchased it for approx $350 about a year ago... they%26#39;ve since gone down in price and were avail at J%26amp;R while we were there (I checked just to make sure I could get another if mine was broken/stolen/lost etc)





You can check out some of my shots (all scaled down in size and quaility for the web) at nyctrip06.shutterfly.com




Personally, I don%26#39;t see the appeal of lugging a huge camera around with me on holiday, unless I want to get a particular type of shot. On my last trip to NY in December, I took my brand new Canon SD900, and with all its features, and the fact it has 10 megapixels, it makes it a great addition to a holiday, particularly given its size-you can fit it in your pocket. All these new small cameras have great zooms, great quality pictures, great tricks and great megapixel ratios and, most importantly, can fit in a bag or pocket -that would infinitely be my personal choice, rather than lugging round a big SLR camera.




I took an Olympus Camedia C-2100 with me to both NYC and Hawaii, and had no problems lugging it around. I have a cool old hippie strap that goes across my body so it was easier to carry. This year though, I have a much smaller digicam with a fantastic 10x zoom and image stabilization. If you want to buy a new, smaller camera for your trip check out www.dpreview.com for great reviews and info.





As you know, the camera is really only a small part of getting good photos. You have to have ';the eye'; as well. With that, you can get great shots with almost any camera.




It depends what you want to do with your pictures. If you just want memories, then a point and shoot is great and portable but if you want pictures on your walls, then def bring the SLR. New York is SO great for photography. Everywhere you look is a photo op. I was there twice in the last year and am coming back in July and I have the Nikon 100. I did not bring the flash and only brought the 120 lens. I usually did not carry the camera bag, just the camera always ready to shoot. Did not feel funny or conspicious at all. I was a tourist and proud of it. You will kick yourself if you only bring the little one. Or bring both and decide later. B%26amp;H Photo is a great store, I have never been there but have bought alot of stuff from them over the years and they are very nice and knowledged and their prices are good too. Have a great trip!




On my upcoming trip, I plan on taking my Canon Rebel XT (which I bought at B%26amp;H btw) and my smaller point and shoot Nikon Coolpic3700. I can see it%26#39;s going to be a pain lugging my extra lenses, but in the long run, I think it will be worth it




We take our D100 (his) and D50 (mine). I have a fairly stylish camera bag (crumpler) which doubles as a handbag for me. For me it%26#39;s worth %26#39;lugging%26#39; round for the shots we get but only you can decide whether it%26#39;s worth you taking yours, if you feel it%26#39;ll stop you enjoying yourself because you%26#39;re always worried about it then dont take it.




I have a Nikon D50 - I don%26#39;t consider it HUGE, it weighs about a pound and a quarter and the body measures 5x4x3 inches. With the lens it add about 8 ounces to the mix.



As for the attached flash, when traveling I usually just rely on the built in strobe.



As others have stated, it depends what you are eventually going to do with your photos; a P%26amp;S will produce some decent snapshots, however if you want some wall hangings`, the SLR is the route to take.



I have a black in color Billingham camera bag, doesn%26#39;t scream %26#39;tourist%26#39; even though what does that matter in the long run!



I%26#39;d suggest taking the D50 - I think you%26#39;ll regret it if you don%26#39;t.



Poppa.




Bring your D50. I stupidly fell for warnings about Barcelona and was in THAT city with my digital Elph! How stupid!





You%26#39;ll see people all over the place with digital SLRs just dangling off their shoulders. We also have lots of professional photographers working all over the place - the camera probably isnt what will make you look touristy!





I would leave the flash at home and get one of those drop in bags for just the camera. They%26#39;re about $19 at B%26amp;H, Adorama, or even some Best Buys have them.





I opted for the Rebel, because the Nikon was just too big! I am about to go to much more dangerous Peru - and wouldnt dream of not taking my real camera out of fear of theft. I%26#39;ll take my point and shoot, but only as a backup.





If you%26#39;re the type of person who bought that camera - you%26#39;re going to want it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment