Thursday, April 26, 2012

New York Wedding-please help me!!

Hi,



I am getting married in Central Park next Wednesday, and am getting incresingly worried about getting my money order and marriage licence. I am flying into JFK on Monday 2nd, and was wondering if it would be a good idea to go straight to borough hall in Queens to get my licence, as I have my 1 year old daughter with me and have heard that the Manhattan office is very busy. I am worried that it may not be safe in Queens, and will not be able to get a cab into the city from here. Any help and advise would be much appreciated.



Thanks.



Rachel.



New York Wedding-please help me!!


Actually we%26#39;ve just had a trip report posted today from someone who got married a week or so ago. They found the best place to get the money order you need is the main post office which is open 24/7.





While they got their license at the NYC borough hall, they decided after checking it out to get married at the Staten Island borough hall which is a lot less crowded and busy. That would be a good place to go for the license. Take the Staten Island Ferry (free). Here%26#39;s a link to the report on the day they got their license.



//www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1112488-NYC_Wedding_Trip_17_23rd_March_2007_Day_3-New_York_City_New_York.html



New York Wedding-please help me!!


And is there any particular reason why you think ';it may not be safe in Queens';? Just precisely what is it that frightens you so? Were you planning on doing something illegal, and were afraid of getting caught? Do I and my fellow Queens residents have something to fear from you? I really can%26#39;t imgine any other reason.





Being afraid of the Borough of Queens is much like being afraid of the Borough of Merton. About one third of the area of New York City is in the Borough of Queens, including JFK airport, so if you are so irrationally frightened, sight unseen, by a place where more than one-quarter of all City residents live, you may want to reconsider your travel plans.





Even though yellow taxis are not that common in Queens, it is easy enough to call fro a car service from a pay phone in Borough Hall. You can also just walk outside into the Kew Gardens/Union Turnpike subway station -- unless, of course, your unjustified fears also extend to mass transit, or being underground.




Thankyou nywhiz for your help, I have looked into staten island borough hall, and that sounds good. I appreciate your help.





GreenWhiteBlue, I don%26#39;t understand why you feel you had to post such a sarcastic reply. It is quite sensible to be cautious in a place you have never visited before, I do not need to ';reconsider my travel plans';, I was just looking for some advise. There are areas you would want to avoid in all cities, and I just wanted to clarify if the area around borough hall was one of them.




Rachlou, it is one thing to be cautious. To be ';worried that it may not be safe in Queens';, when you have no rational foundation for this fear, is another matter. It is also quite offensive to those of us who live here to say that you fear for your safety in broad daylight in perfectly pleasant and thoroughly respectable neighborhoods (indeed, I am willing to bet that my own neighborhood in Queens is every bit as nice, if not nicer, than where you live, wherever it may be) because apparently to you all New Yorkers must be viewed as potentially dangerous criminals. You did not ask whether the neighborhood around Borough Hall was dangerous; you just assumed that it was. Suppose I had posted ';I am thinking of going to London, but I am worried that it may not be safe in Wimbledon -- you know how you have to be cautious everywhere around those dangerous, violent Brits!';, what would your reaction be?





And even though you did not thank me, you are quite welcome for the useful information I gave you regarding the location of a subway stop for the F and the E trains in front of Queens Borough Hall.




Rachlou,





we really enjoyed the time we spent in Staten Island - the registrar there is fabulous and makes you feel really comfortable. The views from the ferry are spectacular and you can see the borough hall as you come in to the ferry terminal at Staten Island - not even five minutes walk.





Hope you have as much fun as we had !




I guess some people are worriers...




I would do queens, it is alot closer than statan island and it is not a bad area in queens .




GreenWhiteBlue - relax... why get so offended? Just missed out on landing that high paying job to live in Manhattan? And at what point did you become the spokesperson for NYC travel?





She was asking a legit question, and not knowing an area can be daunting. FOr all she knows, it could be as sketchy as bed-stuy, brooklyn.... in broad daylight.


  • yellow cream
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment