Thursday, April 26, 2012

help planning my days in NYC

I%26#39;m not going to be in NYC too long and want to jam in as much as I can. I will be leaving Cooperstown as early as I can get my family up to leave and drive about 5 hours into NYC. I%26#39;m guessing I may be there around 1 or so. We are staying around Times Square. We have Yankees vs. Mets tickets and the game that night is at 7.

I will be in the city that Friday and all day sat and sun and leaving EARLY Monday so won%26#39;t have time to do anything that day.

I%26#39;m wanting to see the Statue of Liberty. I%26#39;m thinking of just riding the Staten Island Ferry though to see it and not actually go to Ellis Island. I figure this will save time and money and I don%26#39;t really think I will want to go in it. What do you think? Do you think you would be okay with just seeing it from the Ferry or is it worth the time and wait to actually see it up close and personal? I know it%26#39;s an individual thing but what do you think?

Also I want to go to the Empire State Building Observatory. I%26#39;m wanting to see the Flat Iron, some churches (which ones should I see?) Ground Zero, Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, walk around Chinatown, go to maybe the American Museum of Natural History or the Metropolitan Museum of Art or maybe both for a little while. I want to see Times Square at night which will be easy cuz I%26#39;m staying near. I want to see or walk down Broadway. Not seeing a show though. My husband and kids aren%26#39;t interested.

Any other things that I%26#39;m missing that I should do or see?

How do you think is the best way to fit these things into my short stay?

If I get into the city and checked into my room around 2 lets say. I want to do something before the Yankee game. What would be the best to try to fit into there.

Also i have bleachers seats which I%26#39;ve read that you aren%26#39;t allowed into the park so are we going to be able to see walk around the stadium at all to see the things there? My husband has wanted to go for years I would hate for him to not be able to see everything.

help planning my days in NYC

If you have bleecher seats, there is no way to access the rest of Yankee Stadium.

help planning my days in NYC

That isn%26#39;t right! UGH! When are the tours of the stadium?


The tours of Yankee Stadium happen at noon. Here%26#39;s the site:

mlb.mlb.com/nyy/ticketing/stadium_tours.jsp

If you don%26#39;t want to go to the SOL itself, yes, the Staten Island Ferry is a fine way to get good views of it.

Two churches you should definitely visit are St. Patrick%26#39;s Cathedral (across 5th Avenue from Rockefeller Center) and St. Paul%26#39;s, right near the World Trade Center. Trinity Church, at Broadway and Wall Street, is another good one to visit.

Would your husband and kids be interested in walking across the Brooklyn Bridge or exploring Central Park? If you go to the Met and AMNH in the same day, you could wander around the park for a little since it sits between them.


Yes we definatly want to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge.

We won%26#39;t be in the city in time for the Yankees tour. I found the times online and they don%26#39;t have them that weekend. I just emailed the Yankees themselves (not sure who exactly reads it) mentioning it and how far we were coming from and that my husband has been a Yankee fan for 28 years and he is disappointed that he won%26#39;t be able to see monument park. I doubt anything will come of it but gotta give it a try.


The key to everything is clustering sghts so you don%26#39;t waste time travelling between them unnecessarily.

You have a group of downtown things, and some uptown things -- oddly enough, you have little in midtown.

On the day you arrive, after you check in and get rid of the car, you may want to head over to Rockefeller Center. Go up to TotR (yes, I know you said EXB, but TotR is more reliable as a non-time-waster, and you can be certain it will not take forever to get upstairs) and get an overview of the city from there -- you should be able to spot Yankee Stadium, too!! Across Fifth Avenue from Rockefeller Center is St. Patrick%26#39;s Cathedral, which is definitely worth a visit. Also in that neighborhood, on Fifth Avenue at 53rd Street, is the grand and elegant St. Thomas Episcopal, which back in the day was one of THE grand Society-with-a-capital-S churches of NYC (Consuelo Vanderbilt married the Duke of Marlborough at St. Thomas%26#39;s... Take a peek in for the contrast with the also-Gothic-but-very-different-feeling St. Patrick%26#39;s. You might continue up Fifth to Grand Army Plaza, passing some of the famous shops (if Tiffany%26#39;s is open look in to see the enormous yellow Tiffany Diamond in its case against the wall on the first floor.) At Grand Army Plaza, head heither right to Lexinton Avenue, where you go down two levels to catch the #4 train, or turn left and head to Columbus Circle to catch the D train. Honestly I think you are better off with the #4, becasue it will become an elevated in the Bronx and and you will have an interesting view from the windows. Head off to Yankee Stadium.

You will notice that I did not mention dinner -- ahh, that is another question, did you plan on eating first? or were you planning on getting vastly overpriced hotdogs and whatnot at the game?

Make Saturday your downtown day. I would begin by taking the subway immediately to the Battery, and beginning the day with the SI Ferry. Upon getting back, head up Broadway (stop in Trinity Church at Wall Street, and make sure you check out the churchyard -- Hamilton, among others, is buried there) At Fulton Street check out St. Paul%26#39;s Chapel, and turn left for the World Trade Center site. Proceed to Broadway and Park Place, and take the #2 or #3 to Clark Street in Brooklyn. Get a bite to eat in Brooklyn Heights if you like, and walk the Bridge back. Turn right and head to Chinatown via Centre Street to Worth, right on Worth to Mott, and left on Mott. Transfiguration Church (built by Lutherans in 1801; Catholic since 1853) on Mott at Mosco is a fascinating bit of late Federal-VERY early Gothic revival architecture; I hope it is open to take a look inside. Get some dinner, and head back up to Times Square via the N, R, or W trains from Canal Street and Broadway.

Sunday, you can head uptown for the museums. The two are across Central Park from each other, so it ight make a nice walk.

Some other churches worth seeing include Bertrand Goodhue%26#39;s masterpiece that he made for the Dominican friars -- St. Vincent Ferrer at Lexington Ave and 66th Street, St. Michael%26#39;s Episcopal at 99th and Amsterdam, which has the most astonishing set of windows by Tiffany, St. Bartholomew%26#39;s Episcopal at Park Ave and 51st St., and the Baroque exuberance of both St. Jean Baptiste (in true New York fashion pronounced ';St Jeen the Baptist'; -- including a %26#39;the%26#39; which is not there) at Lexington and 76th,a nd St. Ignatius Loyola at Park and 84th. And did I mention Grace Church, on Broadway at 10th? Well, you get the idea...

  • networking
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment