Friday, April 27, 2012

Who are you NY?

No, this isn%26#39;t an online version of CSI, well not really. I started this thread on the London forum (being a Londoner it seemed a good place to start) and it got quite a good response. So as this is an American website and New York is it%26#39;s biggest city, I thought I would start a thread here. Here%26#39;s how I started the thread on the London forum.





As we are all %26#39;talking%26#39; to each other online, I thought it would be a good idea if we give each other a little bit of background about each other. Feel free to give as much info or as little as you please just so long as it%26#39;s not a complete autobiograohy, just a little bit of who you are, where you come from (including any links back to Britain or Europe as far back as 1492 for our American friends), what we do etc. etc. etc.





I%26#39;ll start. Believe it or not I%26#39;m not the King of Siam despite all the etcs. above (please watch King and I if you don%26#39;t understand). My name is Michael (hence the mick) and I was born in 1967 (hence the 67 thus making mick67).



I am a Londoner born and bred and in particular South London. Born in Southwark, raised in Battersea and now living in Mitcham. My family%26#39;s background though is from Ireland (Co. Kerry and Co. Kilkenny) as my mum was born there and all my grandparents were from Ireland. For my sins I work for a major UK bank in the City of London which pays me a wage that allows me to travel around the world.





Hopefully this gives you an idea but feel free to participate or not and add however much or little as you want.





Well, that%26#39;s me and before anyone asks I will be visiting NYC for the first time in November, my first day will be Thanksgiving, so no doubt I will have more questions nearer that time. One other thing, a commomn theme in the london thread was what pets people have and also an interesting discussion on Muffin tops (think women wearing tops with stomachs showing and you%26#39;ll get the idea).



Who are you NY?


Sorry, should have said that if any of you have a spare hour or so to read the London version of this the link is:





tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k10540鈥?/a>



Who are you NY?


hi Mick I posted on the london one so of course will support this one!!





first of our next trip to nyc is the week before xmas and I am buzzing now everything is booked! we were sad when we left nyc before as we didnt know when we would be back however when we go in december it wont be so sad leaving as we will be back in June for my brothers wedding!!





right...I am Helen, I am 33 married to Jay who is a london policeman and have 4 kids Natalie 16, Taylor 11, Jordan 9 and Jennifer 2 (will be 3 in nyc). I have been running a small craft based business on the internet but have more or less stopped that now as I have just landed my dream drop at heathrow, working for an international airline in customer services...which of course means weekend trips to nyc all the time yippeeeeeeeeee.





We live in Esher Surrey which is south west london, not far from heathrow etc. I have always lived around heathrow/surrey.





I travelled to many places as a kid as my dad worked for BA and always adored America. We never made it to nyc as my dad was and still is dead against it as he recalls comments of yesteryear and refuses to believe us. I hope to show him wonderful new york when we all come over June 06!





If I could trade my house for a park ave appt I would! I am disillusioned with london and the uk in general and would love to try something new.




Congrats on your new job, pinkfluffy! I actually got offered a job with Virgin, from an old boss who now works for them, but i live in the furthest reaches of North London so i had to turn it down :-(





Anyway, i%26#39;ve also replied to this thread in the London forum, but i thought i%26#39;d reply here too!





I am Tracey and i currently reside in North London and work in Covent Garden, which is a great area to work if it wasn%26#39;t for the hordes of school kids always in the area on trips out! *lol* I love travelling, esp in the USA, and have so far been to Las Vegas, NYC, Orlando, Miami, Clearwater Beach. I am going over to NYC next weekend for a short break with my best friend, and i hope to go to Orlando later on in the year to visit some friends. The next BIG trip on the horizon after that will be a trip to Australia at some point next year, and maybe a trip to Dominican Republic for a friend%26#39;s wedding!





I love London, i am, after all, a London girl through and through, and i enjoy the whole social side of living in the big smoke. I do have a 5 year plan however, in which i hope to purchase some property in the sunshine state and make all the British tourists that frequent the area, work for me, by renting it out until i%26#39;m old enough to retire and enjoy it!





I love NYC, fell in love with the place as soon as i arrived for the first time in Jan, and i plan to visit many more times in the future!




Okay so here is an American gonna respond. I am Rebecca, 23 years old and I just moved to NYC 6 months ago. I reside in Morningside Heights (which is between upper west side and Harlem... but still a safe neighborhood ;) my parents made sure of that *lol*) Anyhow, I just graduated college and now work in public accounting. I went to college (university to you Brits) upstate (about 1.5 hours SE of Niagara Falls) and moved here for my job. I lived upstate for most of my childhood but moved to Southern California for 8 years (NEVER send your child to a SoCal HS they will be dealing with the reprocussions for years... but I am coping well:) at least I think I am others may not agree). I have no children, no pets (no dogs in the building :( and not particularly a cat person). So pretty much a boring typical single girl living out her dreams in NYC. I don%26#39;t care what anyone says I love London. I studied there and lived for 7 months working at the Starbucks on Dover St by Picadilly (in Mayfair). I love the British, my boss is British and I love your sense of humor. My dream is marry a Brit and move back to London for a couple of years.... We can all dream right? Anyhow, compared to NYC subways the tube is amazingly clean now granted I haven%26#39;t been in 2 years so my memory may have faded but I don%26#39;t recall a rat problem like in NYC. I lived and worked in Central London so the outside stations may be a different story. Each city has its own charms though! I love killing time at work on this forum and have gotten great ideas about where to take my visitors as well as restaurants to try myself. I feel I learn more than I contribute but oh well what can I do? So please fellow NY%26#39;ers and fellow Americans lets hear what you have to say! :)




Well, Here goes... I am Diane. Been a New Yorker for 9 years. Currently living in Hoboken, NJ. Originally from Orlando, Florida but have lived all over the US. I have also travelled all over the US as a stage manager on a national touring broadway musical many moons ago.





My job is as a talent agent. I represent Actors, Directors, Choreographer, composers, lyricists, Screenwriters and Playwrights. I represent many actors in those broadway shows you come to NYC to see!





I am a travel freak. Have been every state in the US and every major league baseball stadium in the US(except the Arizona one, they messed me up!) My favorite cities to visit in the US are San Francisco, Nashville, Boston, Washington DC, Chicago, New Orleans, La Jolla, Lake Tahoe and anyplace in the Florida Keys. International faves include, London, Paris, Galway and Dublin.




Diane...when are you coming to visit us in the Detroit area?? Remember, I owe you a behind the scenes tour of something! :)




Ok, this sounds fun! I am jenny. I just got back from nyc 3 weeks ago. This was my second trip there, as i was 15 the first time, (33 now) I love it there! I am a single mother of a 6 almost 7 year old son, and manage to spend my income tax check on a vacation every year....for myself.



I have been to europe, me and my 2 best friends went there 8 years ago, backpacking for 2 months. I loved bruges, prague, venice, lauterbrunnen, and just all of italy.



This last year, i have been to hilton head island (south carolina) Vegas, and grand lake colorado, where i lived for 8 years. Wanna go back bad, just need to get on my feet a little!



UMMM what else?...........i DO NOT wear muffin tops, and i am a claymate.




redhairgirl, since you%26#39;re a claymate, you might want to know that he%26#39;s performing at the Ohio State Fair August 9th. It%26#39;s not that far from you! Tickets go on sale May 7th. I%26#39;m not actually a claymate, but I like his voice and plan to go to the concert. Maybe I%26#39;ll see you there!




Actually I think I read the London Forum on this subject, very interesting, once in a while I dream of going there.... Someday, For now NYC...



I%26#39;m 44, married for 23 years with 5 children- 21, 19, two 16 year olds and a 10 year old. I used to be an ER clerk HA HA in our small 50 bed hospital in our small town of NW PA. Now I%26#39;m a secretary, I love it. NO nights, no holidays and no weekends anymore; I did love the excitment of the ER though, Great people to work with too.





Our town is 60 miles south of Erie and 100 miles north of Pittsburgh. We do travel almost weekly to Erie for shoping. Buffalo and Pittsburgh for plays and concerts. Erie too. We are in a very small town of about 6,000 people. This is a funny red neck story (hi-pockets said she went to a red-neck bar in NYC) On my way home from Erie (shopping) one 1st day of deer hunting season, I hit a deer with my car (this happens alot in our area, because we have many country roads) I pulled over to check the damage. A pick-up truck pulled over behind me and ask first if we were ok, then 2nd if I didn%26#39;t want the deer could he have it? Of course he could have it, and You all know what he would do with it don%26#39;t you???





I love to travel, my husband would go to ';Porchview'; every year if I didn%26#39;t plan our trips';. We have been many, many places in US and a few in Canada. As for coming from other countries, both my grand parents on mother%26#39;s side came from Poland. Legerski was their name. My fathers grandparents named Carigan, Bly and McDowell came from England and Scottland. All by way of Ellis Island. I have been successful in finding a couple of them though the website. Big reason for touring Ellis island, of course.



We are coming to NYC in Mid June, I do try to find something for everyone, My husband is thrilled that by chance the Yankee%26#39;s are playing the Pittsburgh Pirates.





I hope this isn%26#39;t too long, but it is interesting to read. One thing that we are so different and yet so much alike...




Forgot to add that NY Chick you are soooo brave...

No comments:

Post a Comment