Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Ess-A-Bagel. Is this the best place for bagels?

Last year in NYC we went there all 3 mornings we were there and thought it was unbelievable. Everything from the bagels to the old men playfully arguing with each other. Bagel thoughts?



Ess-A-Bagel. Is this the best place for bagels?


Best bagels - hands down - H%26amp;H Bagels on theUpper West Side. (Broadway and 80th?) You cen get them hot out of the oven - and they%26#39;re made the way they%26#39;re supposed to be made. Puts all others to shame!



Ess-A-Bagel. Is this the best place for bagels?


I know I%26#39;ll get yelled at, but I find most bagels to be about the same, except for the ones from the carts, which are truly terrible. I have to say that most bagels nowadays are just too enormous, though. They%26#39;re about twice the size of the ones I grew up on. I get wonderful mini bagels from my local bagel shop, and my favorite are the ';everything'; bagels.




Everyone has their likes and dislikes. It also depends on where you%26#39;re staying and how far you want to go. Ess-A-Bagel has seats so you can dine there. Many of the other famous bagel places are just take out and don%26#39;t. Here%26#39;s a list of the favored places



鈥bout.com/od/restaurants/tp/best_bagels.htm





If you like some smoked fish (nova, lox etc.) with your bagel, you might like to try Barney%26#39;s Greengrass on the upper west side.




I should add, I recently had an onion bagel (with cream cheese and chives) from Sable%26#39;s (upper east side) and I thought it was outstandingly delicious.




Heretical as it may be to say so, I kinda prefer Pick-A-Bagel.





More here:





tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k991990-鈥?/a>




Bettina - I agree with you 100% on all counts!!!



However, after living in the hinterlands as long as I have, with nary a decent bagel in sight, just about any decent bagel WOULD taste good to me!!!



:)




The ones that most stand out in my memory are those at Tal Bagels, First Avenue between 53rd and 54th, although if I really want a bagel I will probably eat any bagel, as I think the ones in the middle are all pretty much the same as long as they%26#39;re fresh.





If you know anything about Weight Watchers, you may be interested to know the average New York bagel now has about 9 points, although heavy ones like those at Ess a Bagel may have more.




And I agree with you, Bettina--my preference for Pick-A-Bagel stems from the fact that I could throw a rock from my window and come close to hitting it. I%26#39;ve never had a bagel so good that I%26#39;d pass by other bagel places to get it.





That said, any time I try a bagel anywhere else, I remember that even though New York ones are all about the same to me, they%26#39;re vastly superior to those anywhere else. Once I was driving across the country and stopped for breakfast at a restaurant in North Dakota where the menu offered ';Baygals.'; Curious, I ordered them, only to receive a plate of those ';New York Style'; bagel chips you can buy in bags at the supermarket. They were served with squeeze packets of grape jelly.




That%26#39;s horrible, Crans! Actually, the mini bagels from my neighborhood shop are about the same size as the regular bagels we got as kids.




Bettina....Guess balloon-like bagels are epidemic...I thought it was a San Francisco thingy as that is all I am finding lately. Give me a good old dense boiled bagel anytime...not a miniature bread ring!


  • yellow cream
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment