Tuesday, April 24, 2012

So here's the plan- comments welcome and appreciated

Upcoming Mom and daughter trip- end of April

Saturday- arrive JFK 10am

cab to Roosevet hotel

Litlle Italy- quick peak

Chinatown- lunch

Battery Park

South St. Seaport

Financial District- Century 21, WTC, Trinity Church

Reservations- Brasserie Les Halles

Times Square

Empire State Building

Sunday

Lower East Side Walking Tour

Tenament Museum

Reservations: dh Bistro Moderne

Show: Chicago

Monday

Union Square Farmers Market

Big Apple Greeter

Greenwich Village

Reservations: Gramercy Tavern

MoMA?

Tuesday

Central Park

Shopping 5th Ave

Reservations: Babbo

Show: Avenue Q

Wednesday

Grand Central Terminal

Top of the Rock

flight home

So here's the plan- comments welcome and appreciated

Sounds fun to me! Try to do the Circle Line boat cruise while you are there. Great views of the city including the Statue of Liberty. Your restaurants all sound fabulous. You%26#39;ll have to let us all know how it goes!

So here's the plan- comments welcome and appreciated

Great itinerary!

Just one little piece of advice and I%26#39;m sure I%26#39;ll get shot down on this. Century 21 is sooo not worth it. Unless you have at least half a day to kill to rummage through stuff that has been thrown around and battered in the hopes to find anything, pass on it.

Saks has some great sales going on now and Bergdorf%26#39;s (Fifth Floor) always has some racks throughout that have items substantially marked down. So you may want to save your shopping for your Tuesday 5th Avenue shopping day!

I%26#39;ve been to Bistro Moderne and Grammercy Park recently, you%26#39;ll love them both!

And kudos on getting to see Bebe back in Chicago!

Have fun!!


I just returned from a similar trip with my 14-year-old son - his first time in NYC. I had a pretty ambitious itinerary like yours as well, and found after the first day (out the door at 8:30 AM, back at 9:30 PM after dinner) that I had to build in some downtime. That may just be my son and your daughter might do fine, but IMHO trying to do Litlle Italy, Chinatown, Battery Park, South St. Seaport, the Financial District- Century 21, WTC, Trinity Church, and the Empire State Building all on the first day, after a flight in arriving at 10 AM (so assuming you were up pretty early to get on that flight) is going to leave you pretty darn tired.

I was happy that I had left a lot of flexibility in the schedule so that we could play things by ear according to weather - for example, one day that was rainy and we had planned to go to Central Park, we instead went to the Rose Science Center which was great (if crowded). Be aware that the lines at the Empire State Building are just unbelivable - the day we were there, it was THREE HOURS to get into the $*#$* building. We instead went to the Top of the Rock (still waited close to an hour in several 10-20 minute increments) and enjoyed it just as much.

We had lunch at Michael Jordan%26#39;s at Grand Central Terminal (my son is a real redmeat fan) and it was fabulous and a great way to experience the terminal, since it%26#39;s up on the balcony.

Have fun!


Sounds like a good plan.

As far as Century 21, it is hit or miss. I like it for housewares, linens %26amp; purses, but clothes, bad. The dressing rooms su..k!!. If you are in the area, have a look, you may just walk back out.

If it is not busy it is not bad. Busy.....horrible. Would be interested to know your thoughts on it.

Do you know where your greeter is taking you?


How old is your daughter??? I think your first day is MUCH too ambitious. You%26#39;re in so many different locations my head is spinning.

Which Les Halles are you going to? Neither get great reviews but the one downtown gets particularly bad marks on service and will be EMPTY on a Sat. Century 21 is best (if you have to go) first thing in the morning, NOT midday on a Sat. OY!

I agree you should try to include some kind of boat trip if the weather is good. I think the NY Water Taxi might be up and running by the end of the month. nywatertaxi.com


A great shopping tip off of 5th Ave if you%26#39;re looking for great bargains: try the Syms Department Store on the corner of 54th and Park Ave. It is 100% better than Century 21, better brands, things are more organized and easier to find. For me it%26#39;s 5 floors of heaven! Have a great time!


I%26#39;m actually the daughter (will be turing 33 on the trip) Mom is (58).

Les Halles is actually coming off our list. When I made the reservation, I said no gluten please (I have Celiac disease). This morning I got an e-mail back saying they couldn%26#39;t guarantee cross-contamination. Usually higher-end restaurants are happy to meet any special needs so we are probably better off to avoid this one. They did say, however, that if I brought my own meal they would be happy to heat it up for me. Yeah, right!


Prada-Girl, being you cancelled Les Halles (good decision, by the way, I%26#39;ve never been but haven%26#39;t heard the greatest things about it, which is why I%26#39;ve never been!) you may want to give Landmarc a shot. It%26#39;s a great restaurant in Tribeca, very catering to special requests and they have a phenominal wine list (half bottles are back!).

The website is http://www.landmarc-restaurant.com

They are located on West Broadway between Leonard %26amp; Worth Streets. I have been there many, many, many times and have never been disapointed.

If you%26#39;re still in the mood for more french fare you can try Pastis in the Meat Packing district, that will keep you on the west side too.

  • yellow cream
  • parameter order
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment