Sunday, April 22, 2012

THE BRONX - worth a visit? Any views on this?

Whilst visiting New york for 5 nights, I also fancy a visit of the Bronx.





Is it worth a visit? Is it safe? Or is it all touristy now?





I would like to catch a baseball game but there aren%26#39;t any for our dates,



but a wander about the area may be good.





Any views on this?







THE BRONX - worth a visit? Any views on this?


The Bronx is a huge area-bigger than Manhattan. If you want to see Yankee Stadium, there are tours of the stadium given every day there%26#39;s no game at noon, so from that standpoint you%26#39;re actually in luck. Go to



mlb.mlb.com/nyy/ticketing/stadium_tours.jsp



for info.





But the other popular/interesting spots in the Bronx --the zoo, the Botanic Garden--are not near it.





This post might be helpful.



/www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1107994-Brox_before_Yankee_Game_on_Thursday_April_4th-New_York_City_New_York.html



THE BRONX - worth a visit? Any views on this?


A wonderful borough with lots of interesting sites - including the world famous Bronx Zoo. Here%26#39;s the popular I Love The Bronx web site for more information...





http://www.ilovethebronx.com/greatlinks.cfm




If you want to go to a baseball game, check out the Mets. See if they are in town. Arthur Avenue has good Italian food.




Sunset, the best way to visit the Bronx is to have specific areas, institutions or neighborhoods you are interested in and zero in on them. The Bronx and Staten Island are the ';least touristy'; areas of the city. The casual out-of-town visitor style of walking along the street in Manhattan, map in hand, cameras around the neck and looking at the buildings or the people would likely make you the attraction for the locals. And while that may turn out to be fun for you and fun for them, it%26#39;s probably not what you had in mind. You can absolutely enjoy the Bronx%26#39;s wonders and I%26#39;m not discouraging it, just advising you to adopt a less visible-as-tourist personae.




I ditto the mets and arthur ave for great italian food check out domonic%26#39;s great restaurant.We can not forget city island for seafood enjoy!




Have you been to Brooklyn yet? It is also worth a visit.




As a former Bronxite (St. Anns, then Parkchester) I would not advise ANY foreigner to visit that borough. I visited it a few years ago for the first time in 30 years and was horrifieid.





Yes, I know about the gentrification of ';SoBro';, and the beneficial changes, but I was there with a latino friend of mine showing me around, and still after about a half hour walking around St. Anns he said it was time to go. Even HE was getting nervous.





And the Subway ride UP to the Bronx, DON%26#39;T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT! What family I have still living living there take a private bus service back and forth to Manhattan rather than risk the perils of the subway.





I%26#39;m sure some Bronxite is going to get offended, and I do apologise if that happens, but I cannot in good conscience recommend anyone who does not know his way around The Bronx to go there.





Cheers,



Dev




Thanks everyone for replying, I think I will visit, but not on the subway then!!!





I haven%26#39;t been to Brooklyn or any where near before.This is our first visit.



I certainly didn%26#39;t realise how big it is!





I wish we were staying longer than 5 nights now!





Only 2 weeks to go - yipee!!




The sizes of the different boroughs, in land area and population:





Queens - 109 square miles; 2,241, 600 people





Brooklyn - 70 square miles ; 2,486,235 people





Staten Island - 58 square miles; 464,573 people





The Bronx - 42 square miles; 1,357,589 people





Manhattan (including Roosevelt Island and Gvoernor%26#39;s Island) - 22 square miles; 1,593,200 people.




Thanks for that, I really cant believe how much bigger all these



places are than i actually imagined.





I%26#39;m starting to panic a bit now as I don%26#39;t have an itinary and I don%26#39;t



want to miss out on anything.





I can see why people come back - must be to see things they missed



out!

No comments:

Post a Comment