Monday, April 16, 2012

Train New York to Washington DC

Hello all



My wife and I have a few spare days during a New York trip in May. I am thinking of going down to see Washington DC to see the sights, plane seems cheaper but Train suits both my enviro vibe and getting to look out the windows.



Has anyone any advice on this, both is it safe and the most cost effective way to book. I like train travel in Europe but my US experience of it is New York to Newark Airport and by tube around the city. I would really appreciate some advice.



Train New York to Washington DC


Check out www.amtrak.com .... they have fast accela service but don%26#39;t expect the %26#39;ambiance%26#39; of European trains...unfortunately:) Enjoy!



Train New York to Washington DC


The cheapest way to travel is the Chinatown bus, but I cannot recommend that in good conscience. The plane may in fact be cheaper, or at least the plane FARE is cheaper, but the nice thing about the train is that you go direct from the center of Manhattan to the lovely Union Station right by the US Capitol in DC. You won%26#39;t need a taxi -- and you also don%26#39;t have to fuss with any of that ';take off your belts and shoes'; nonsense; you can just hop on the train and go. Union Station has a stop on the DC metro system, so that is easy for getting around.





I like the trip to DC. You go through Philadelphia and Baltimore, with good views of both, and there is also the grand view of the Susquehanna at Havre de Grace. You alos have a choice of the sort of train you want -- the faster ones are more expensive, but not more comfortable; all are fine in that regard, and there is a cafe car so you can get snacks, drinks, and sandwiches on board.




I travel to DC frequently and my preference is the train. Flying can be less expensive but you have to factor in the cost of getting to %26amp; from the airport in both places, and you have to be there 2 hours early, security, etc, a big pain in the butt.





I find the train much more comfortable and civilized.




Take the train! It is very comfortable, and, yes, it is safe. And, as already mentioned, when you factor in the cost of getting from Manhattan to whichever airport, and then getting from whichever airport in Washington to the central city area, the train is probably pretty close in cost. And did I mention it is so much more comfortable? ; )




I%26#39;ve taken the NY-DC train many, many times (lived in DC for a few years) - it%26#39;s a nice way to go. More reliable in bad weather, and if you factor in the airport/commute times on both ends, it can work out to take the same amount of time, or shorter if there are flight delays. As posted above, check out the Amtrak website. The Acela (high speed train) often isn%26#39;t much faster to its destination than its slower counterpart, but it is more expensive. The Acelas are a little nicer inside, IMHO, but again, not sure it%26#39;s worth the price difference.



With respect to your question about safety - yes, it%26#39;s generally safe. I will say that I have known various people who have suffered losses due to petty theft on the trains, including one of my travel companions one trip. Things like ipods, mobile phones, etc. have ';disappeared';. I also know someone who had their backpack taken. Basically, use common sense. I would not leave anything of value by my seat and go off to the cafe car, for example. So, although I would say it%26#39;s safe, I just wanted to mention this point, since it%26#39;s easy to run off for a snack and think of course your stuff will be fine where it is. Please don%26#39;t assume that.



Have fun - it%26#39;s really pretty cool to leave from Penn Station and arrive at DC%26#39;s Union Station (which is very pretty and has some nice shops).




Grayline new york has a one day trip from NY-Washington DC with AMtrak service. IT includes lunch and sightseeing.





www.newyorksightseeing.com


  • homemade blackheads
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment