Friday, April 13, 2012

Single traveller

I am going to New York City the first weekend in August. I am a recent single senior and this is my first time travelling ';solo';. Any advise would be appreciated.



Single traveller


Check through the ';sticky'; at the top of the NYC forum, where contributor Queensboulevard has links to trip reports, including those written by single travelers. Lots of great info there.





You also should request a Big Apple Greeter. This is an organization of volunteer New Yorkers who love to show of our neighborhoods.... and it%26#39;s FREE.



www.bigapplegreeter.org



Single traveller


Thanks Bettina!





Here is my collection of reports written by solo travellers. Hope you find inspiration!





tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k474427-鈥?/a> Collection_of_trip_reports_from_SOLO_TRAVELLERS





Don%26#39;t forget to take advantage of senior discounts at museums, certain attractions, even the bus and subway!





www.nycvisit.com/content/index.cfm鈥?/a>





http://www.mta.info/nyct/fare/rfindex.htm





If you%26#39;re accustomed to downtown Toronto, you should have no problems here. NYC is a lot like Toronto, but on steroids. ;o)




Many thanks to you both. I will check out the sites you suggest. I was looking at the New York Party Shuttle Tours web site and thought this tour group would be good for a single traveller. Do you agree?




The thing I enjoyed most about travelling alone was not having to dance to anyone else%26#39;s tune! I avoided the organized tours, and just went wherever my mood dictated. Some meals I ate at the bar and chatted with others, some I got a table and kept to myself. If you wish to be more social though, I%26#39;d bet a tour group would be just the thing!





Fodors.com has a specific message forum dedicated to solo travelling if you want to read up on other%26#39;s opinions on it.




I think the Party Shuttle or kingofnyc.com are both good options.





I really think NYC is a great place to visit solo. For me, the most difficult thing about solo travel was always the evenings. In NYC you can go to a show (on or off Broadway) every night if you want AND it%26#39;s always much easier to get a great single ticket. Every museum has at least one night they%26#39;re open late. All the restaurants are used to solo diners and if you don%26#39;t like eating alone, most places will now serve food at the bar so you at least have the bartender to chat with.




Whatever you do just always:



1) Be aware of your surroundings



2) When in doubt ask someone, then ask two more to be sure!



3) Remember that we are not all Canadians, nor are we like them!



4) You%26#39;re from TO, you can take on NYC!



5) Do not just rely on TripAdvisor for advise. Do some real research based on your expectations of your trip to make it happen. Nobody needs a travel companion to have have a great vacation when it is well planed in advance!





It takes guts to trip it alone! Good for you!




I went to NYC a month ago with a friend and decided that my next trip there (I%26#39;m hoping it will be next year!!!!) will be on my own.





NYC is probably one of the best places to travel solo and generally speaking it has all of the advantages Plumeria mentioned.




Wow!!! I want to thank all of you for your most helpful comments.



The Fodor site for solo travellers is just fantastic. I had no idea there were so many of us travelling on our own. You have given me encouragement to do this trip. It%26#39;s kind of scary, but now I can see that it%26#39;s going to be okay! Thanks so much!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment