Sunday, April 22, 2012

Sleeping in New York

Hi everyone





I%26#39;m taking my 70+ year old parents to New York in the fall and know from my own visits that it%26#39;s a vibrant 24/7 city and that even the best hotels can be noisy.





Can anyone recommend a classy hotel midtown or uptown where my parents have a chance of sleeping soundly? My mom sleeps poorly and I want her to try to relax on this trip.



Sleeping in New York


The Sofitel New York is the quietest hotel in which I have ever stayed. I certainly never heard any traffic noise from outside. In fact, I never heard anyone else on our floor. You would have thought nobody else was staying in the hotel. Also, the beds are very, very comfortable. If your mother can%26#39;t sleep at the Sofitel, she can%26#39;t sleep!



It%26#39;s on 44th Street between 5th and 6th Avenues.



sofitel.com/sofitel/鈥iche_hotel.shtml



Sleeping in New York


Rocco took the words out of my mouth. I exactly the same experience at the Sofitel.




I think virtually any hotel can have a noise problem if you%26#39;re on a low floor or near a spot with garbage collection etc. Your best bet is to pick a nice hotel in a location you think they%26#39;ll like and then contact the hotel directly about finding them the quietest room possible. You might also suggest they use earplugs or buy them something for some white noise when you arrive.





I don%26#39;t know your budget, but some places you might check are



%26gt;the Regency



%26gt;the Lowell



%26gt;the Helmsley Carlton House



%26gt;the Surrey





These are in locations that I think would be quieter than many and have some senior appeal (imo).




I always find if I switch the aircon unit on the white noise that produces helps me sleep or a fan :)




The one hotel where I slept the most soundly is the Giraffe Hotel. Their windows are incredible. I was on the tenth floor and when you close the door to the small balcony, you did not hear anything. Also, there is only 7 rooms per floor and the elevator is noiseless. I had the room in front of the elevator and I was apprehensive about that and the girl at the front desk told me that I would not hear anything and she was right!




We found the Barclay Intercontinental to be a quiet hotel. Avoid the Grand Hyatt, we had an upper floor but it was still the noisiest hotel (street noise) that I%26#39;ve ever stayed in!




I stayed at the Renaissance Times Square in a corner room and it was VERY quiet. I could not hear any street noise and having a corner room reduced foot traffic past my room.



If you can get an upper floor corner room at any hotel it will be quieter than lower floors and center rooms. But it also means a longer walk from the elevators to the room and a longer walk down to ground level in case of an emergency that doesn%26#39;t allow use of the elevators.



Finally, the less expensive the hotel, the more likely to have a younger crowd looking to spend all their money partying, or a large school group staying at the hotel, each of which will result in a higher noise level.



:)




I only have experience with The Michelangelo, but I was surprised how quiet it was. I slept like a log there.




You could also look at out of the way hotels, but not too out of the way, like the Millenium UN plaza. The rooms start on the 28th floor if I%26#39;m not mistaken and it is a less noisy area of town.

No comments:

Post a Comment