Tuesday, March 27, 2012

First day in NYC, Trip report

Flew into Newark after an uneventful flight with Continental from Manchester.



Food was appalling. Luckily there was a very nice Jewish man sat across from us who gave us his Kosher meal. (If you want decent food order Kosher). My meal was allegedly chicken. I don%26#39;t think this chicken had ever laid an egg or gone pock pock. Anyhow we arrived and got through immigration in record time and went to collect our bags. One bag was badly damaged and as we had landed at terminal B we had to catch the air train to terminal C to report it. Continental staff were great. They gave us a ticket to get the bag repaired or if not repairable then replaced free of charge.



Off then to the dreaded Super Shuttle. We were told we would have an hours wait so we got some drinks and settled down to wait. Only to be called straight away. We picked up again at the other terminals but it didn%26#39;t take long and it was nice to chat to the other passengers. Into Manhattan and we dropped people off



down the south end first. We got a great tour and saw City hall, the court that is always featured on Law and Order and also Brooklyn bridge. Up then to our hotel the Salisbury.



The journey only took about 3/4 of an hour including dropping everyone off and we enjoyed the ride. All in all it wasn%26#39;t as bad as I expected.



Check in at the hotel didn%26#39;t take long but she tried giving us a double double room when I had booked a king suite. This was quickly sorted and we came up to our room. Great room and a good size.



I unpacked while hubby did the important job of setting up the laptop internet connection. It isn%26#39;t the cheapest internet we have had but it is still good value. We popped out for something to eat and we went to a nice Chinese place on 7th Avenue called China regency. I had a spring roll and hubby had dumplings.



Our son had the chicken and corn velvet soup. Then we had ribs and special fried rice, hubby had Dan Dan noodles,



I tried them and they nearly blew my head off they were so spicy. Hubby enjoyed them though. The bill came to $42



which I thought was really good value. After that we called in a Duane Reade to pick up some drinks and we



came back to the hotel. Hubby did some surfing while son and I watched TV. Why do they have adverts every



5 minutes? Anyhow come 9pm we were all fast asleep.



This morning we were awake by 6am so we were down for breakfast at 7am. Breakfast was free for some reason but hey were not complaining. After showering and lazing for a while we got a cab and took our cases to be repaired. We would have walked except it was absolutely pouring down. After we dropped the cases off we found a Boarders that was open and had a coffee and a sit down while we tried to dry out. Upwards and onwards to FAO Schwarz. I bought a couple of jigsaws for school and we left to get a cab down to the Port Authority Bus terminal where



we were meeting a friend. We met her and went across the road to a Mexican restaurant. It was ok. filling and quick which is what we



wanted. We then split up and I walked down to Macy%26#39;s. I picked up my discount card and did a bit of shopping. Then I went on



to Lane Bryant and spent even more money. By this time I was getting tired and I was wet as my coat got so



wet it had gone through to my clothes. I stood at the bus stop and this kind lady asked where I was going. She gave me her transfer card as she couldn%26#39;t use it on the bus she was catching. Now i%26#39;m back in the hotel waiting for hubby, son and friend to arrive back. I%26#39;ll post more tomorrow if anyone is interested.



Ann



First day in NYC, Trip report


Sounds like your faring okay so far. Sorry about the lousy weather we%26#39;ve got. This is an unusually cold April. But, given all there is to do, I%26#39;m sure you%26#39;ll keep yourselves occupied! Museums, shopping, theatre, and yes, Food!





I love reading ';live'; trip reports.....thanks for sharing...and hope the rest of your stay is enjoyable!



First day in NYC, Trip report


Ugh...how embarassing.......





I just read my post and came across the GLARING error in the first sentence, so please let me re-state....





';....like you%26#39;re faring......'; This is what happens when you type fast and click that ';submit'; button too fast. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment