Friday, March 30, 2012

Metropolitan Museum

Would this take all day? Coming in from Jersey this weekend, should I drive in or take train and subway. How is parking? Can I park on the street?



Metropolitan Museum


It certainly can take all day, but if you%26#39;re only mildly interested in art, you could spend half a day there without much problem.





Street parking is very difficult to come by; the Met has an underground garage and charges $35 for a five-hour or longer stay. Personally, I%26#39;d take the train and subway because I prefer it, but if you don%26#39;t mind the drive, you could use the garage.



Metropolitan Museum


You won%26#39;t find street parking---well on Sundays you might, but it could forever to find it. But if you want to drive, you can reserve parking in advance on iconparking.com and know what you%26#39;ll be paying. If you do that, make sure to print out your receipt and show it when you arrive at the garage. I%26#39;ve had several friends who%26#39;ve started using this at my suggestion tell me they%26#39;ve arrived at appointed garage to ';full'; signs posted outside. Once they show their receipt, they%26#39;re waved in. If you wind up staying longer than expected, not a problem (but it may cost more).





If you decide to take the train, the subway is not that close to the museum. Depending on how many you are, you might want to take a taxi from the train station.




Here%26#39;s some lunch/brunch info from a former post.





tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k872249-鈥?/a>




I%26#39;ve driven in to the Met on a weekend. If you%26#39;re an early bird and can make it in by 10:00 you can get the ';early bird'; rates which most lots have. About 6 weeks ago my wife and I went to the Guggenheim and parked all day for only $15, having arrived at the lot at 9:50 am. Otherwise it would have been about double that.





Traffic is very easy at that hour, too (on a weekend, that is)




I usually don%26#39;t recommend driving to Manhattan but in this case I will because you are only driving to one place and the garage at the Met is ';park your own car'; and it has an entrance to the museum directly from the garage and a lower level admissions area that is usually less crowded than the ones on the main floor.




I can only take in about 4 hours at any museum without plummeting into ';visual overload; brain requests downtime';. That said, I love The Met and the area around it. If you have time take advantage of the proximity to Central Park and go for a stroll after lunch.





I never drive in Manhattan and enthusiastically recommend trains and subways. Driving always looks like mayhem to me and parking, yikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment